Stockholm – Tele2 AB (“Tele2”) (Nasdaq Stockholm: TEL2 A and TEL2 B) — has today launched an updated sustainability strategy, setting new benchmarks and targets reaching to 2026 in the four focus areas Circular economy, Child online protection, Sustainability through tech and Diversity. Some of the new and updated targets includes taking back 100,000 mobile phones in 2026 and increasing blocking of attempts to access child sexual abuse material with 10 percent.
Since the implementation of its latest strategy in January 2021, Tele2 has greatly improved its ESG-ratings results, including an A-rating by CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project), #1 in gender equality in Sweden by Equileap, #1 Climate Leader in Europe by the Financial Times, and appointed as having the best climate reporting of all companies listed on OMXS.
“We are launching this update to our strategy on the back of our leading sustainability achievements, including rapidly reducing our scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions, leading efforts in our industry to improve circularity of mobile phones and using AI technology to improve blocking of access to child sexual abuse material. This reflects our dedication to our vision to lead in sustainability,” says Erik Wottrich, Head of Sustainability at Tele2.
After three years of our previous strategy, Tele2 reviewed and updated the four focus areas to maximize impact. The new EU Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive (CSRD) mandated a double materiality analysis, prompting the need for a strategy update. The focus areas were determined based on a double materiality assessment that was carried out during 2023. The assessment included a stakeholder dialogue with 6,600 stakeholders.
As part of the updated strategy, Tele2 has set new ambitious targets, including the collection and recycling or reuse of 100,000 phones by 2026. These targets reflect Tele2’s dedication to environmental responsibility and societal impact.
“Sustainability is an integrated part of our core business and creates shared value for our stakeholders. As a sustainable business we maximize new business opportunities with a win-win-win perspective for us, our customers and society at large. Telcos will play a key role in enabling a more sustainable society, and this updated sustainability strategy is our plan to make a significant contribution to that development,” says Kjell Johnsen, CEO and President of Tele2.
The new updated targets are:
- Collect 100,000 phones for recycling or reuse by 2026.
- Increasing revenue from circular business models.
- Blocking attempts to access child sexual abuse material, with a 10% annual increase.
- Achieving a leadership gender balance of 40/60 in all leadership levels.
Other targets that Tele2 had in the former strategy launched in 2021 that are still valid:
- Achieving 100% circularity for network equipment by 2025.
- Scope 1 & 2 reduction by 100% and Scope 3 reduction by 60% per subscription by 2029 and net-zero emissions by 2035.
- Recycle and reuse 30% of distributed phones by 2030.
Tele2’s refreshed sustainability strategy continues to emphasize four focus areas:
- Advance circular economy to combat climate change – Tele2 will capture new business opportunities in all segments related to circular economy, reduce negative climate impact throughout our value chain in line with our science-based targets, and increase our rate of collection of mobile phones to 100 000.
- Protecting Children in a Connected Society – Establishing Tele2 as a market leader in child online protection, with a 10% annual increase in blocked attempts to access child sexual abuse material.
- Accelerate sustainability through tech – Utilizing innovative technology to create B2C/B2B customer and sustainability value, advancing digital ethics, and decreasing the digital divide.
- Grow business with diversity, equity & inclusion – Striving for an industry-leading inclusion score, a sustainably diverse workforce, and a leadership gender balance of 40/60.
Watch the “Lead in sustainability” video here
Read more about Tele2 sustainability strategy here
For more information, please contact:
Fredrik Hallstan, Head of External Communications Phone: +46 761 15 38 30
Stefan Billing, Head of Investor Relations, Phone: +46 701 66 33 10 _________________________________________________________________________________________________
Tele2 is a leading telco with the purpose to enable a society of unlimited possibilities. Through our networks and services — ranging from mobile and fixed connectivity, telephony and data network services to TV, streaming and global IoT solutions — we are deeply connected to every aspect of today’s digital lifestyle. By making our infrastructure more powerful, reliable and sustainable, we enable society to become that as well. Tele2 was founded in 1993 and is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. In 2022, Tele2 generated revenue of SEK 28 billion and reported an underlying EBITDAaL of SEK 10 billion. For latest news and definitions of measures, please see our homepage www.tele2.com